Friday, March 28, 2014

Without Tears

When I read a book or watch a movie, I try to read its reviews first. Mind you, it is the reviews and not the summary. I don’t do it to cheat. Instead, I find it helpful in knowing what to expect of the book or the movie. I want to know if it’s worth my time and if I am going to learn new things. So, I try to search first. Unfortunately for this book, I wasn’t able to read a review. And so, I don’t really know what to expect. I don’t know the topic or if the book is great.  The only thing that I know of the book is it has a nice title and cover.
Reading the first paragraph of the introduction of Len Fisher’s Rock, Paper and Scissors, I learned that it was about game theory and its connections to everyday life. I really don’t know a lot of things about game theory.  The later paragraphs help me to understand more about Game theory, which is not only a mathematical science that studies the strategic decision making. It is also that the results of the strategies depend on the other people strategies. Also, it is specifically about mathematical models of conflict and cooperation between the makers.
  Fisher continued more with game theory and its applications in the next eight chapters. Fisher provided examples of game theory. One of these is the Prisoner’s dilemma in which he described in chapter one. I find it really cool. The prisoner’s dilemma can be applied in all areas. Like in the book, it can be with few boys having the same crush to the supermarkets and marketing. He also discussed Nash equilibrium. He said it is a logical trap. I find Fisher’s view on Nash equilibrium a negative one. In the second chapter, he told the story when he was a kid and the trouble he caused. His idea to minimize the consequence is an application of the minimax principle. Fisher also gave another example with the meat and the elder sister.  He then explored this subject more with its concepts and also he discussed fair division.
The third chapter is about the seven deadly dilemmas. They are the seven of the most interesting game theory problems. Fisher gave an interesting exploration of each seven dilemmas. In the seven, one that I like the most is the chicken. Somehow I can relate more to this. The next chapter is for me, the most exciting one. It discussed the game rock, paper and scissors. Rock, paper and scissors is more commonly known as bato, bato pick. I used to play it every day when I was a child. To know more of the game is exciting, I find out that there is no really strategy that is better or that would dominate. Random choices are better in playing this game. Also, I found out that the simple game of rock, paper and scissors can be used in other conflict situations.  The next three chapters of the book discussed more about getting together and trusting each other. In other words it is cooperation and communication. It discusses more strategies and approaches that can help in preventing the consequences of the prisoner’s dilemma.

As I read the book, I realized that game theory is everywhere. From the simple game we all have played to the conflicts and problems we have encountered in this world. It is also interrelated with biology. Game theory is used in biology. Biologists used it in understanding cooperation in the survival of the fittest. Also, he mentioned some scientific experiments used in the game theory. I really appreciate it that he included some biological experiments and examples. As biologists, it helps us understand more things and broaden our knowledge.

Now that I finished reading the book, I realized that it was good that I did not have any expectations. I wouldn't think that it would be met. The book was simply amazing. It may have some dry and slow moments, but overall it was fun to read. The author discussed things without causing us to bleeding in our nose or tears running down our face. And, he also gave us a few laughs. In other words, the book is simple and light, cheerful and humorous.  It was also a fascinating guide for math people and dummies like me.  Also I learned a lot of the given problems, dilemmas, history and science. Len Fisher is a good author. He did a good job on the book. He fascinatingly and with enlightenment explored the world of game theory. He also accomplished his goal of discussing game theory and its connection to everyday use. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves games, science and math.


No comments:

Post a Comment