Thursday, March 27, 2014

STUDY or BOOK REVIEW???

The Mathematics that we learn from school is not the mathematics that Ian Stewart was referring to in his book. Stewart admitted that the school mathematics is less interesting compared to those that are not taught to us in school. He started the book by mentioning his math notebook, the notebook where he writes all the interesting things that he can find from this math he is referring to.
            What Ian Stewart wants to imply to the readers is simply “math is fun”. Math is not just about studying and passing for the examinations, or making sure that you’ll get the right answers to the questions given by the teacher. And you know what? By reading this book, indeed, I learned that math is not that boring at all. I mean, honestly speaking, I found the problems extremely fun to solve. Some of the problems were ‘solvable’ but some of them might cause migraine.
            I was not able to finish reading the book to be honest. It was too long, I mean, the book was composed of approximately 180 problems, to be solved, let me emphasize, problems. I have enough school problems to worry about and I am not going to give myself some more. But I think I’ve read enough to make this book review.
            Stewart accurately calls all the problems, puzzles, tricks, brainteasers, paradoxes, and jokes present in the book as ‘curiosities’. Curiosity can be defined as unusual or interesting factor object. Without a doubt, it is just that they are called curiosities.
            Of all the books I’ve read in this course, Ian Stewart’s The Mathematics of Life and his Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities caught my interest the most. Stewart always make sure not to make his books boring by making it less formal and more entertaining to the readers. In this way, the readers would be encouraged to read the book without them thinking of it as a punishment or a requirement (like in Math 1, hihi).

            I can’t mention how amazing all the problems given in the book were thus I will just simply say that Ian Stewart ROCKS! (haha, fan girling XD). Good thing I did not have to choose between studying and doing this book review since I was able to do both, this early, due to the thrill I feel every time I think of going home J Summer break, here I come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment