Sunday, March 30, 2014

Curiouser and Curiouser

Finally, the last book review is here. Actually, I have already read this book last January because I thought this was the book assigned to be reviewed at that time and I’ve also made an unfinished book review for it but when I learned that a different book was assigned, I stopped making the report. But at least now, I can continue what I’ve started.
The book entitled A Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities, unlike the four others that were given before, was not a book with a definite storyline. It was filled with enjoyable games and puzzles that surely readers would have fun with. It is very pleasing and challenging at the same time which would surely improve and develop the thinking skills of its readers. Stewart was great in giving out elaborate discussions on the topics involved in the book where even ordinary readers are bound to be fascinated with. He was a very good mathematician because he managed to explain and discuss the book in the simplest of terms. This book is definitely my personal favourite because it was such a brain teaser.
The book opened up where Stewart mentioned that he had a notebook filled with problems in math when he was a kid. With this, it can be inferred that even at a young age, he was already a big fan of Mathematics (something rare in children nowadays). He then looked at Math in a new perspective, a more fun and enjoyable paradigm. He viewed it in a fun way so that he wouldn’t be pushing or forcing himself to learn such overwhelming topics because if you’re having fun with something, you won’t have a hard time in learning that something.  This then allows you to clear your mind and answer the problems immediately.
Admittedly, I didn’t get to answer all problems because it got kind of tiring but still, they were fun. If I’d have more time, I think I’d also have more patience to deal with them. However, I could say that this book can definitely improve one’s interest in Math because then people would be viewing Math in a fun way and the common notion that Math is like hell or very hard to deal with would be erased.

In this book, Stewart manages to deliver to his readers about his very long relationship with Math which started out when he was a kid. Through this book, the readers were able to follow through how a simple perspective or paradigm shift could change one’s attitude towards something. A Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities, a great read indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment