Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Decoding the Underlying Tactics of a Real-life Gamer

“In this arena called life, we are all players. Every moment we make a decision, we are truly facing a battle one way or another. It can be a battle to get the best for our own benefit, a fight for the sake of our survival, a war to beat all odds for our favor. Or perhaps, it can be mad duel between you and yourself. Whatever it may be, as long as we are face with the challenge of choosing, even without the presence of physical destruction, we are actually on a combat. A game to win at the expense of acquiring the best that we could ever have. “

And that note above was my general realization after reading this totally amazing book. I am not kidding when I say this book totally rocks. At first glance, the title doesn’t have much impact on me and according to my initial queries about the content of the story, they would respond negatively. Bad first impression, you must say. But hey, I was proven wrong. I did not just like it, I love it! The truth is, if I just have enough time, I would totally eat all the pages and digest those amazing ideas in my mind. Because if you might ask, this book is so smart that you have to read it at least twice in order to fully understand it. No, it’s not that it is so technical; in fact, I admire how the author discussed the points in the simplest way. What makes it confusing, were the ideas itself. The twists and turns, the drifts and maneuvers and seeing phenomena through different angles. Cool. Awesome. Stimulating and Interesting.

Sorry if you can’t relate to all the stuff I’m saying. But just to give you a glimpse of the book, I would gladly share the parts that struck me the most.

I, as a person, admit that I know less about logic. That’s why being able to read this is such really pleasure to me. Okay, enough of the flowery words. Haha.
First is the amazing strategy called the ‘Prisoner Dilemma’. I can’t really describe it without the help of a diagram but I will try. It’s the strategy commonly use by lawyers in order to convince the suspects to tell the truth and admit that they are guilty. It’s really a cool mind game as well as a wise tactic to trap the person. For you to really understand it, well just read it. That’s the best definition I could give. Hahaha.
The second was the ‘I Cut, You Choose’ strategy. This one works when you offer two choices; ideally one larger piece of cake and one smaller piece. You give the other person the option to choose. Then basically, to be nice, they would pick the smaller piece to be modest. But wait, the one who picked didn’t really sacrifice something. There is a yet an untold story. When the author tried to ask those persons he used for his experiments, why they picked the smaller piece, they replied that it’s because they would feel bad if they grab the bigger cake. It would seem that they are greedy. So the next step that the author did was letting these people quantify or score the value of the small and bigger cake as well as the act of getting the small and big pieces. And from the results, the mixture of the entities that they choose was indeed greater even if they seem to have sacrificed something. I hope you’re getting me in this. Isn’t it cool? I never thought that emotions can be quantifiable. But of course, it varies from person to person, and the unit used it called util. Yehey! I remembered. 
Third, is the great potential of applying these game theories, in real-life situations such as political agreements, business negotiations, deals and even in parenting. The way it resolves conflicts and the way it could settle undecided matters without having impartiality and with full fairness. It can help spread peace on earth. Unfortunately, applying these principles won’t be easy and somehow idealistic says the author.
Anyway, at some point, we could see that logic can be likened to psychology, or maybe it is indeed a branch of psychology.
  There are really a lot of good points in this book. You just have to see it for yourself. This book can make you think twice about life and change or broaden your perspective about life. It will open your eyes to appreciate life the way it magnifies the little details in life and giving to much sense in it. Lastly, it just not makes you smarter but it gives you tips, strategies to how to live your life effectively and getting the best possible thing you could ever have.
Play wisely.


No comments:

Post a Comment