Thursday, March 6, 2014

Nature Behind Games: A Book Review on Len Fisher's Rock Paper Scissors

 As more mathematical books are required for us to read, the more I expect that the next one will be more interesting and fun. And, my expectations were met.
            Basically, we judge the book by its cover. We imagine a whole bunch of story lines that could possibly reflect in the book’s pages. Rock, Paper, Scissors. I used to play this when I was a child with my older brother. And yes, he wins every time. I expected that the book will discuss more about mathematical logic. To start with, I was a bit right about my presumptions.
            The book started with a very friendly manner. I, as the reader, was not bombarded with heavy math and heavy logic. The flow was just enjoyable. It informs the reader what game theory is in such a way that one can think it is applicable to all fields in the intellectual and in the practical world. Basically, I learned that it is all about logic and strategies. However, one striking line that caught my attention in the first chapter was “When both sides use the same logic, however, there is never going to be any peace in this world.” My thought about this was political, to be honest. The author then explains that he sticks with the Nash equilibrium. It is about bad outcomes and how to get rid of it. As I read that part, it was where my adventure with this book started.
            Reading through the next chapter, the author introduced the concept of fairness. He reiterated that fairness is innate in us as well as in other life forms. He was creative enough since his technique in this chapter is that he shares his personal experiences for the reader to be able to relate and agree with his points. He then introduced the principle of minimax which is defined in the book as “minimizing your maximum possible loss”. Thus, I have deduced that the title of the chapter “I Cut and You Choose” lies on the principle of minimax since I will be the one to strategize the fair division so as if one chooses a pile, I am rest assured that we will have the same gain. With this, I believe that the author was indeed clever in setting examples so as the readers can interact with the flow of the book, thus, enjoying the whole thing. Shortly in chapter 3, the author discussed the 7 deadly dilemmas and summarized these problems as to how it exists and what are their consequences in return. However, the chapter ended with a generalization that the main point in all these dilemmas is how individuals with different beliefs coordinate without changing their personal principles.
            Now all I thought was that the title of the book wasn’t the game the will be discussed. I thought that it was just a representation of what the book is about – games and game theories. However, in chapter 4, the author investigated the nature of the game rock, paper, scissors. It was really amazing to think that as grown-ups, we all would likely think that the game we used to play when we were young was nonsense. However, the concept of this game ranges to professionals on decision-making. I can deduce from the whole chapter that the peculiarity of this game lies on the fact that it is not characterized by a strategy. Thus, it is nature that maintains the balance in the game, the same way as nature maintains balance in the ecosystem. This concept was said to be beneficial when applied to other games with various problems.
            Chapters 5, 6 and 7 further continue to discuss about cooperation. Indeed, the author had successfully written the chapters in a creative and adaptable way. In this part of the book, I was able to interconnect communication, commitment, negotiation, coalition and other subjects that have been discussed to a united point as a whole. Also, deep understanding was achieved when the author offered brilliant examples such as those communication ways practiced by various organisms as well as common social practices that include coalition and commitment. Furthermore, with his examples, I was able to conclude the fact that these subjects were viewed differently by game theorists. In the latter part, coordination is indeed a key to some principles in the Nash equilibrium. Through coordination, strategies can be discussed to come up and achieve a common goal. Also, it was stated that one could not get out of a trap once he/she uses a different strategy. As for my reflection to this, in the concept of the game theory, we could not only apply these principles in common math and logic but also to communities and social practices outside and inside the academe. It is really overwhelming to know that in every decision made by a group in a research team or other meetings, game theory unconsciously lies.
            The book ended as it deals on changing the nature of the game by introducing new players. Moreover, it has discussed the inclusion of computers as well as the quantum game theory. Quantum game theory, as stated in the book is futuristic and could possibly eradicate the problems in cooperation. Also, the book concluded with tips for individuals to make difference.

            For me, what makes the book unique is its analytical and logical approach to game theory. I myself am always fascinated with strategies and techniques since my older brother used to teach me some of those. Moreover, the book has maintained its substance throughout the coverage of my reading. Information-wise, it is an efficient tool for game theorists as well as individuals to learn logic and principles behind various interactions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment