Friday, March 28, 2014

NOT YOUR ORDINARY SUDOKU ( A book review on Ian Stewart's Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities)


            I was surprised when I opened the book. I thought there is some kind of scientific fiction going on in this book because when I read the title, “Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities”, the first thing that entered my mind was the idea of Narnia where there is a closet that can lead you to this magical place. But okay, I was totally wrong. It was actually about the puzzles, jokes, and stories constructed by the author Ian Stewart which are organized in this “cabinet”, the book.
            I can describe this book as genius. It is very different from the past reading materials in Math 1. It provides a holistic point of view in Math. It does not just feed concepts in Mathematics which is something that most of us find annoying. What it does is feed us Mathematical concepts in an entertaining way. Despite those jokes that are not even funny in any way, this book is innovative. It even incorporates philosophical concepts and experiences of the author. It also provides some “life hacks” that can be used in calculations that are totally helpful to students. Indeed, it is like an all-in-one book.
            I admit that I did skip some pages when I read the book. This is the advantage of this book for some readers. You can read random topics only and still not miss the flow of ideas. You can read one topic each day or whenever you want and you can ponder on it for days and have some build-up of opinions about the topic. I also have some of my favorite topics in the book and favorite puzzles that made me get a ballpen and a paper to try to solve it. The book really lived up to its theme, “curiosity”.
            One of the topics that left a mark in my mind is the “Rabbits in the Hat”. I never thought that magic can be associated with Math. I also never thought that calculations would be involved in misdirection, one of the main techniques in the field of magic. Now, I’m starting to think magicians are actually in mental chaos when they are performing magic tricks.
            Another part of the book that got me is those curious calculations. I even took my calculator from my bag to check if the expected results would really be achieved. It amazed me that it did. However, the author said that these calculator tricks are actually made from generalizations and careful evaluations of the algebraic properties of numbers. Any person can make these calculator tricks if only he/she has fully grasped the concept of algebra.
            I also find the philosophical ideas of the author very interesting. That of the “Heron Suit” was my favorite. It reminded me of the famous philosophical idea which is “the black cat in the dark room”. The philosophical excerpts in the book from the author just showed how well-rounded he is. It also showed the views of mathematicians towards philosophy and analogy.
            In terms of humor, this book didn’t also lack one. Though some of the jokes were not really funny in my point of view and though it got me saying “Huh?” after reading them, they gave me an idea on how mathematicians perceive jokes and construct jokes. At some level, they are nerdy yet if a person reads them again and again, you’ll figure out that there is humor in it. This gives substance to the book.
            The book is, indeed, comparable to a cabinet. There is a drawer for challenges from puzzles, another drawer for humor from the jokes, another drawer for experiences from the stories, and another drawer for adventure from the games. These drawers and compartments makes up the entire cabinet which is filled by the parts of the author’s self. As I read the book, a part of the author’s self becomes a part of me too, in some ways, which is why I liked the book. It is not just a book of puzzles, jokes and games. It is a book with substance.
           


No comments:

Post a Comment