Sunday, March 30, 2014

A book review on Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities

                Math in both elementary and high school was a little bit challenging, fun and somehow easy. When I entered college I thought it will all still be the same, what I thought was wrong. Mathematics in college was ten times more challenging, boring and was never will be easy. So I wondered how do mathematicians look at math that exciting and fun? In the book of Professor Ian Stewart; "Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities" he discussed where the real fun is. Through the years Professor Stewart has been filling his cabinet with mathematical games, puzzles, stories, and facts. Written in his book are the different answers to different questions that each person might have about how mathematics work. The author had discussed different logic behind games, puzzles by using the science of mathematics in a fun and entertaining way.

                The author created an atmosphere where he as the author can interact with his readers through asking them to solve and perform puzzles and problems. I like the connection he makes with his readers however, since I am not a fan of mathematics I eventually got tired solving his problems and instead I skipped some of it. The book was not arranged in a chronological order, each chapter is not directly connected from the previous one which makes it less boring because each chapter opens a new topic.

                In the book my most favorite part was on the chapter of Curious Calculations. During elementary and high school I find it fun calculating lengthy mathematical problems but when Professor Stewart showed an easy and even more fun way to solve problems I realized how different mathematical problems in college could also be solved that way. It's like solving puzzles and the answer itself is the prize.

                His book was indeed a cabinet of mathematical curiosity. I myself was not that curious about mathematics but when I read his book I realized that my mind has a cabinet of curiosity that was yet to be filled with answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment