Saturday, March 22, 2014

Calling all the Math Dorks out there

If you’re really not mathematical-theory type, but still you loving playing mind games and a self-proclaimed math dork, this book is for you.  To be honest, I did not and could not read the whole book continuously because it is an album of puzzles to solve. I think my mind would explode if I would dare do that. Every puzzle is a heavy baggage for the mind, and I won’t let my mind drain because of that. Either way, I could say that this book is simply amazing and written passionately for the love of math. It is a book you want to read on a lazy Saturday afternoon if you want to be entertained and have some little mind stimulation. If you and your friends are feeling geeky, well, I could say that this book is perfect for bonding with friends. The contents of the book were very diverse and each of the games was unique and pretty clever. One familiar game I ran into while flipping a few pages was the game of how a farmer could pass a river with a wolf, a goat and a set of cabbages considering that nothing will be damaged. That’s already obvious right? No need for explanation. I knew that puzzle a very long time ago. If I ‘m not mistaken I was in grade school at that time when I first encountered this piece of a maze. Yet I have forgotten the solution to this puzzle. So what I did? I searched the answer through the net and was very amazed of the answer. Not that I did my best in trying to answer this, but having read the available answer enthralled me. It showed me that not everything that seems to be impossible can’t be turned into reality. That every piece of a mess has a way out. That every problem has a solution.
Though I haven’t mastered every piece of the puzzle and new all the answers, and actually finished the book, I can tell that I’m glad that I have a copy of this book in my laptop in case I would feel like reading it. Because it’s really cool, but right now, I don’t have the time to enjoy it.

Anyway, I love the introduction of the author and I admired how the author manage to keep and compile all this crazy and amazing puzzles. Kudos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment