Monday, December 30, 2013

The Profound Connectivity

The Mathematics of Life
by
Ian Stewart
Basic Books: NY, New York
7th June 2011


"The mathematical way of thinking is becoming a standard piece of kit in the biological toolbox: not just a way to analyze data about living creatures, but a method for understanding them." - page 8 of The Mathematics of Life

The author Ian Nicholas Stewart is a Mathematics professor in the University of Warwick in England, and also a known writer. He was awarded for his works on promoting Mathematics. These credentials enabled him to pull this book off really well. To write something about two very distinct subjects is quite a challenge and I think his efforts did pay off based on the reviews I've read before actually reading the book and of course based on my experience after reading it.

Before I talk about the book, I just want to express what I think about the quote I have taken from it. I may have not realized this before, but now I do agree that Math isn't just a tool for different analyses in various researches in the field of Science particularly Biology, but that it is now becoming a part of what Biology is and will be. Mathematics is now helping the people in its own way to understand the concepts of Biology. This news might be terrifying for some people who hate Math but are into Biology, since this would mean that Math is going to be more involved with Biology than it already is, but this is real great news to those who are enthusiasts of both fields.

So, going to the book... See, I'm a Biology major and this book got me really excited at first because I knew I'd easily connect with it compared to the first one. In some way, I did find a connection. However, when I learned what the book was really about, I wasn't that much intrigued because I know that even if Math and Biology are two very well-defined subjects, there are parts of both of them where one would need the concepts of another to come up with an end point or an answer especially when it comes to mathematical modelling and scientific research, respectively.

This is a non-fiction book that tackles about the deeper connection of the two fields of study. The book mostly revolved around the five biological revolutions namely the 1)  invention of the microscope, 2) systematic means of classifying species, 3) evidence of evolution, (4) expansion of the field of genetics and 5) discovery of the DNA structure. Through these five revolutions, Stewart was able to dissect the history of Biology while also stating how Mathematics was involved in it in some way. He thinks that each evolution is helping us realize that Math is already an undeniable part of this branch of science. I learned from this book some Mathematical concepts that I still haven't encountered that are really useful in Biology, like the Knot Theory that is used in the analysis of strands of DNA and Abstract Geometry that helps in getting to know viruses in three dimensions.

Though it tackles most about the five revolutions, the main purpose of Stewart is to tell the readers what he thinks is going to be the sixth revolution - Mathematics. According to him, this sixth revolution suggests that the analysis of the complexity of biological systems with the help of mathematical concepts, is actually offering opportunities to biologists and mathematicians that they may be able to excel in both fields, thus leading to further discoveries and improvements. As Science continues to evolve, Math will help achieve greater things that are unimaginable before. This revolution also aims to let scientists view life in an improved perspective. I do agree on what one of the readers said, that if mathematicians are now learning to love Biology, then biologists should also try and reach their heart out to Mathematics.

The Mathematics of Life is an example of a well-researched book. I can also say that Stewart really knew what he was writing. He mentioned different scientists and mathematicians, research and discoveries that helped prove and strengthen his points. There's also a pinch of logic and philosophy in it that makes it more appealing. The book also has illustrations and figures, notes and an index that are all very effective and useful for the benefit and convenience of the readers. The intended audience are the scientists, mathematicians, students and enthusiasts of both fields, and even a normal human being who is searching for a challenging book to read. Reading this book is just one of the ways to break the already fragile walls that separate Biology and Math, and the chapters of this book are only an introduction to a much greater relationship of both subjects. Eeeh, fun.

I liked Stewart's choice of words. He tried his best to relay the messages in a way that even a person without much of a background in Biology can understand what he was saying. This book surely have a lot to offer. It promises a bunch of information and is written with subtlety, assuring readers they would not be wasting their time. But just like every book, this one's not perfect. The thing is, he wasn't quite generous on his take on the sixth biological revolution that he only dedicated one chapter for it. See, this is not a problem to me, but for some, I think this might be a heck of a downer. I can't think of anything else that went wrong with this book, but I can't also say for sure that the responses to this book are all good and well - after reading it, some might be satisfied, some may be hungry for more, and some might say they wasted their time. Ouch.

Overall, I'm pretty contented with the book and amazed by the new things that I have learned. I would definitely buy the book, only not in my current state today as a student and a teenager who's interest in a book is very far from this one, but in the future, in my mid-twenties when I'm in a position where I'd need the insights of this book. Hehe. Of course, I'd also recommend this work of Stewart, especially to those who are in the field of Science and Mathematics. They can ponder a lot from this one. It is also a good topic of discussion among students and debaters as they can take a lot of points from the book to argue or agree on. Depending on the course of discussion, they may or may not be able to reach an impasse... Either way, this book can really help them in their academic endeavors.

3 comments:

  1. I am amazed how you summarized a 369-page book. Indeed, I believe there should be partnership between the two studies. You have comprehended the book well. Kudos! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Ka, nhiya naman ako. You know what, we have opposing views. Pero dhil sa review mo, parang bumenta na rin yung book para sa akin! Go go go! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your points and views! You're very keen in Stewart's compilation of his writing style and original ideas. :) Very honest and considerate. Also an excellent review for this book. Keep up the good work ^^

    ReplyDelete