Monday, December 9, 2013

Diggin’ its Origin

We know what Mathematics is by definition, we know how it’s used, but one important thing that most of us do not know about Math is its history.
      Mathematics and its History. It is what the movie was all about. Math being a product of culture and Math being the Language of the universe.
      In the movie, it was shown how Math started from simple patterns and sequences our ancestors observed from their daily lives. The movie includes Mathematics’ detailed history starting from Egypt, to Babylon, to Greece.
      I expected the movie to be very boring since it’s about Mathematics and history. Math and history is never a good combination, it is a perfect sleeping pill. But this time, I was surprised because I found the movie interesting. It is amazing in a way because the movie contained a lot of information that are new to almost all of us.
            Another important detail that Prof. Du Sautoy(narrator) shown to us was the "Who's Who in Mathematics". The people responsible for inventing Math, or the people responsible for the hard times we experienced in solving our problem sets. In other words, the people we should blame. But without these people, we would not have known a lot of important things in life, we would not have prospered this much, but again we would not have suffered so much headaches.
      For me the movie is a great way to start the semester, because I think, knowing its history is a good way to start a topic. That is what the movie is trying to imply, we should know how Mathematics started, how in the first place is Math here and why are we obliged to study it since we were toddlers?
      So, for me, the movie was not bad because I did not get to sleep and it did get my attention. It was not even boring for me. Or maybe it is because I’m already used to watching these kinds of films since I always watch boring documentaries with my dad so I think this one is far better than those. Although I would prefer the next movie to have subtitles because some of the words mentioned by the Prof. Du Sautoy were not quite audible. But all in all, the movie was worth it and it is a good start.

      Digging its origin? It’s always the best way to begin.

3 comments:

  1. Catchy title! Hahaha. :) Natawa ako dun sa headache part. Anyways, kung wala ding math, grabe din ang headache sa pag-isip kung anong gagawin sa mga bagay bagay hahaha :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Digging the history of mathematics is quite a complicated task. History is definitely a head-aching subject but you have elaborated your own flawless opinion about its history well. Kudos to you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Math and history is never a good combination, it is a perfect sleeping pill." Ei yow hats off to your frankness! HAHAHA
    And yes, I agree that "diggin' the origin is the best way to begin(in)". lotsa rhymin' there. XD :)

    ReplyDelete