Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Reading Mathematics and Philosophy

I really love reading fictional books. Reading took me to a new world where my imagination is the limit. It makes me discover and learn new things. Reading helps me to develop my thinking skills. It is also my escape to reality. As a requirement in our subject in math 1, we are required to read books and these books where all related to mathematics. Making a review about it is like being trap in the Pandora’s Box.
                “What is Mathematics, Really?” is the title of the first book we read. When I received the pdf file of the book, I don’t want to read it. I opened the pdf and scan in the table of contents. I cannot explain the feeling while reading the possible main concepts of the book because two of my least favourite subjects were fused in just one book. A question came in my mind, “how can I understand and enjoy the book?” Honestly, I really did not enjoy it but still I have learnt something new.
When I studied philosiphical analysis (SSP 5) during my first year days, I learned that many things can be related philosophy. I discovered that some of the greatest philosophers where mathematicians. The book “What is Mathematics, Really?” is an introductory to the basic concept of mathematics and how philosophy can be related.
                Philosophy deals with answering questions. Questions are always the basis of studying philosophy.  The first part of the book is about the basic questions a person can deal when encountering a new knowledge, the what, where, how questions. Hersh deals with mainstream philosophies such as Platonism, formalism, intuitionism and humanism in explaining the concept of mathematics.
Plato strongly believe that the truth can be found in an unknown imaginary place and time making the things that we can see is not the truth. Platonism explains mathematics in relation to the concept of Plato about truth. Thus, concluding that mathematic entities can be found in a different realm. Platonism is my least favourite concept in explaining math. I agree to Hersh that he reject Platonism to be the philosophy of mathematics.  I think that it doesn’t make sense what you are studying if Platonism is basis.
The next philosophy he discussed is the formalism. Hersh state that in formalism “mathematics is like a meaningless game played by explicit and rules”.  There is a part of me that agrees with this statement but I need to agree with the author that it is still not mathematics. Then, Hersh discuss about intuitionism, where natural numbers is the only basis of mathematics. I don’t argue on Hersh dissapproval because I really cannot understand the concept.
The last is the humanism where the humanists believe that “mathematics is the study of mental objects with reproductive properties, and intuition is the faculty by which we consider or examine these internal, mental objects”.  Hersh strongly believe that it is the right philosophy of mathematics. His view about different philosophical concept is only the first part of the book.
The second part of the book is about mathematics, philosophy and theology. This part of the book brings the conclusion the “mathematics exists as the thought of God and therefore, any knowledge of it provides eternal truths about universe”.  In this part, I really agreed to this concept.

In the end, I find the book interesting at the same time boring. Interesting in a way that Hersh managed to make a book about mathematics and philosophies and boring because I am not a great fan of mathematics and philosophy. 

7 comments:

  1. It was indeed really difficult to encourage yourself to read this kind of book - very challenging, really. But I think this book had somehow created an impact on us and your work is a reflection of this. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow maye~ dumugo ilong ko.. mahal na mahal mo talaga ang PHILO >_< wooohhh... na relate mo ang MATH and PHILO!!!! alam kong di mo forte ang pagsusulat but you did a good job with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wooh nkarelate ako sa second paragraph :D Nice discussion on the philosophies mentioned in the book. Hahahaha I agree na interesting tlga ang book pero di xa ganun ka appealing sa mga taong wla maxadong interest sa philosophy and math.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got philo issues. But otherwise, an awesome review ;)

    ReplyDelete