Monday, December 30, 2013

It's One Thing To Be A Mathematician, Another To Be A Biologist

                So I was reading the book while waiting for my flight. I figured that was the best time to read it since the chairs in the waiting lounge are not comfy so my sleeping tendencies will lessen and I still haven’t slept properly and I would really want a good natural sleeping pill (which was the book and I excuse myself for any offense taken since I stereotype math books as boring).
          This book by Ian Stewart is pretty loud and wide at first and eventually thins down to specific ideas and branches of interest. As far for my experience while reading the book, it is somehow okay (it’s a shocker though) that he placed very big and broad points on the first few chapters to guide the lay audiences. However, those very sweet chapters were traps that would make you feel comfortable with the book. Stewart tackled the simplest theories of biology that could be learned from your high school days first and then he slowly morphed the book into something critical and needy in the latter parts. And there starts the real challenge, would you still want to read it through or would you like to stop while the coast is clear?
          I am doing a review so I’d be brutally honest and I’d say just stop while it’s early. Especially if you are looking for no-brainer reads, then this one is not for you. As calm as Stewart presents the underlying facts, it is inevitable to even encourage the lay audiences on how interesting a set of viruses are or how magnificent it is that a flower is beautifully set at a certain angle (I mean hey, do you really think ordinary people would be all over the bio stuff and be all “knowy” and “questiony”? They’d probably just stare at you blankly and for worst cases, maybe they’ll even punch you in the face :D). Now, if you want me to be an optimistic-jolly-super-duper-ultra-positive, then I’d say you continue reading the stuff. Trust me, I am a biology student and I never could’ve enjoyed reading proteins and viruses making angles and forming icosahedral casings (not sarcastic). Maybe really the book has been very technical unto how mathematics got involved in biology (which I will point out later), however, if you enjoy either mathematics or biology or both, then Stewart did a good fruit salad out of them in this book. And you wouldn’t notice soon enough that you’ve already finished the whole bowl. J
          Stewart’s style of writing is unique to him and I’d honor him for that. He writes his points elegantly that you would not notice the mistakes that fast. Oh yes, I am a newbie at this book reviewing thing and I am pointing out mistakes. I am awesome like that. But nonetheless, yeah, I’ve found some mistakes which I guess were totally right and not mistakes and I am just boastfully trying to ruin the reputation of the book (so I am most probably saying nothing that makes sense). First thing is that the transitions in the book between facts are not synchronized. By synchronized, I mean those transitions which you could probably predict the next thing happening since it was the repetitive manner of the writer. Yes, those are the ones and in this book, I found groups of them. By groups, I mean you cannot generalize them as one. Some may say that it would suck to repeatedly know the pattern because everything else will then become clichés, however, when you are writing an educational book, then I guess clichés would be perfect because it acts as maps for the readers.
          Next thing I noticed about the book is that Stewart opens up topics but unconsciously leaves some of them hanging. And leaving certain facts hanging could often be ambiguous and confusing and that is a big no-no to the readers. He has this tendency to associate facts to strengthen his points then suddenly leaves them in the air while constantly shifting in between pacing. That about the planktonic life and niches, he opened the topic about ecology and epidemiology then suddenly transitions to another thing which is the Fibonacci’s model and even though he tried to construct a valuable bridge in the transition, it is not enough to not mislead the two concepts being mathematically driven and less scientifically.
          The last pointer for the book is that I noticed Stewart’s tough time on expounding the biology part of the book. Yes, the mathematics part and how it is becoming increasingly important in biology is good, maybe even better since that is Stewart’s field. He wouldn’t have to elaborately explain the things since he knows which words to pick to make the math sound interesting and cool (which makes his discussion on mathematics if not superficial, then shallow; another point to ponder). However, he picked maybe the wrong field to elaborate on applied mathematics since biology as a whole is a very strong and firm science, be it the fact that biology is wide and anchors on principles and theories. It would be hard for him (which actually showed in the book) to grasp the concepts as a true blood biologist would do and I could not give him credit for awesomeness when he discusses the biology part sloppily.
           Nevertheless, this book is a great read for those intelligence-seekers. I’d still suggest this book to be read especially for those who are interested and are taking up applied mathematics. This book for them would not be hassle considering that they’d be focused more on the mathematical implications on biology. On the contrary, I would not dare suggest this book for biology enthusiasts (in fact, those who are very critical) since they’d only be offended on how biology was presented on bullet forms (that was a metaphor, uhm, yeah).

          

No comments:

Post a Comment