Friday, January 17, 2014

HASHTAG - T

            In this new chapter about math’s history, the flow of realizing Math’s past has come to a new direct turn towards Europe. It is amusing for me to have not known all these years any of the mentioned people in this 3rd part of the documentary series except for Newton. As I’ve told you in the past two reviews, I don’t dig math and math feels totally the same for me. We mutually hate each other at a very special way. However, this long trip to Europe proved to be worthwhile to understand and appreciate.

Note: Again, I don’t do spoilers, I critique just like any other reviews.

            Sautoy never failed to have pulled strings on me and let me pick unusual sides of the table (I swear it is not a circular one). I’ve got five points to point out right now so I am on a roll actually. Might as well enjoy wasting your time reading this eh? J
            First point, Pierre della Francesca. If some of you already know him, then you’re either an artist or just a really bored person. Nonetheless, this certain Pierre was featured in the film having been addressed as the painter of the infamous “The Flagellation of Christ” – a painting that surpassed the norms and ended up on Math’s history. That was a real shocker. However, as convincing as Sautoy was on the previous episodes, I’d bet you’d really adore Pierre after all the explanations and change of perspective mentioned on how 3D embosses from 2D to create a specific harmony.
            Second point, Sautoy’s stand on Decartes. I mean seriously, who would love a selfish bastard. And the real kicker is that he dreams and think math while sleeping. Now that is purely WOW. LIKE WOW, SUCH WOW. With that, I really rest my case on Decartes. I mean who’d want to argue with such awesomeness. But seriously, aside from giving Decartes a big round of applause for the ever useful Cartesian plain, the film really nurtured his image. He became a hero both for algebra and geometry there which would really make you go all drooling (a not so clever metaphor) on him. And also, the “he doesn’t believe the sun revolves around the earth” might get you there very fast on the liking-Decartes stage.
            Third point, how disturbingly funny the camels were for Sautoy. Now this part is what I call a no-brainer in the documentary. Mersenne: Parisian monk, God-fearing and Math loving, solves problems while praying, what’s there not to like about this cute person whose idea of “FUN TIME” is actually “M-A-T-H--P-R-O-B-L-E-M-S”? Tell me people! But nevertheless, Marcus really had a “FUN TIME” on the festival and the details on this part of the documentary if not flashy then I’d say, were fast paced for some reason I don’t know.
            Fourth point, the Newton-Leibniz couples fight. Isn’t it sweet for two people to argue for the rights to claim Calculus? That’s CALCULUS PEOPLE! Shame on you for not even saying a word ‘cause I know you love calculus for the same reason that you awkwardly like to compute the rate of water flowing out of the faucet and filling the bucket. In this part of the documentary, I observed the words were bold and direct to the point. This part really made strong points but I would not be a bother to choose any of the sides. I really don’t care that much at all (and I’d still feel the same even if both of them are still alive right now and arguing). Also, Sautoy clearly made a specific call for the matter on which side he was on and that I think is a discrepancy on how he will be biased on whenever he encounters Physics. That I think is not necessary because being a scientist or fore say being a mathematician, we have to be the rational ones and we must not prefer to one side unless it’s a do or die situation. Hahahaha J
            Last point, the other big shots. On the halfway part all through the end, a lot of people were still continually introduced. Marcus went through the Bernoullis – Leibniz’s trusted supporters, Leonhard Euler – the one with a school, Gausse – the shy imaginary numbers guy, Bolyai – the father of Hyperbolioc Geometry and Riemann – the lecturer on the Foundations of Geometry. All these people highlighted by Marcus were all awesome but for some unexplainable reasons, I believe I don’t have to discuss them and you must meet them yourselves.

            I believe the frontiers of space were structurally built in this episode of the 4-part of the documentary. There must have been a lot of people mentioned but this chapter holds the real Golden Age for mathematics and you people would never notice to have loved math instantly after watching the documentary series this far. We are approaching the last destination and this ride has been the most interesting so far. This is a worthwhile watch and I hope the fourth one would be a good finale :)

No comments:

Post a Comment