Thursday, January 30, 2014

Is Math the answer?

This serves as a book review for “A Certain Ambiguity” by Gaurav Suri and Hartosh Sing Bal

This genre of a novel is way, way far off from the books I usually read. It was a novel revolving around math, the subject I’m not really fond of. But for some reason, I managed to finish the story (by skipping the pure mathematics parts haha!).

 It was really not that bad. I’m not totally an avid fan of mathematical theorems of some sort, yet I find the story quite catchy and stimulating, especially on the first chapters. Ravi, the protagonist in the story and his Bauji (grandfather) probably amused me in how they spend time doing math. It was inspirational – since it plants desire in the heart of every reader to love math, as well as touching, because of the overwhelming tight bond of the grandson and the grandfather.

The book as well is inspiring in the sense of reaching your dreams and acquiring more knowledge. It inspired me to study abroad. Okay, enough of the emotionally-influenced critic of mine. Let’s go to the deeper and my analytical point of view. For me, the book was well-written. It was straight to the point as well as very informational. Many axioms and theorems were discussed. The story was also intriguing nevertheless very insightful and substantial. I believe mathematicians and math-philics would love this.
It was also undeniable that the main argument in this book was the questioning of God’s existence. As a deep-rooted Christian, I was first offended by the statements spelled out by Bauji against my faith. It really awakened my being and even indignantly reacted while I was reading this book. This just means that the writers were very good and very effective in constructing the story.

Maybe my favorite part of the story, except for Claire and Ravi’s love story (haha!), were the sessions between Judge Taylor and Bauji. They were so cool and both are so brilliant. Of course, you know whom I bid for. Haha. Yes! I just remembered.  I would like to take this opportunity to defend my faith as well. Christianity is not a blind religion. It is real, the absolute truth. I don’t give a cake about their theorems and relate it whether God exists or not. It is nonsense. God is everywhere. The order that we see right in front our eyes, aren’t they enough to proclaim that God exists? Atheists don’t even consider the truth that someone out there, superior to us, made all these things possible. We are limited beings, for the love of God, no matter how smart we are, we can never really explain all things and fathom everything, humans, are finite. Haha. But still, we are made different from one another and molded by varying circumstances and experiences. So, therefore, I can’t blame Bauji for being like that.   

           Anyway, just like what I said earlier, it was a witty book and though negative emotions was stirred in me while reading this book, I couldn’t say that I didn’t learned something from it, because I have. It got a 6/10 rating to me. Nyahaha! (Like a pro)


No comments:

Post a Comment