Sunday, February 2, 2014

Not Just An Ordinary Novel

            I don’t like novels, but this.
It has been a great challenge for me to read this book and eventually make a review on it. I haven’t read novels, I don’t read novels, I just don’t want to. Apparently, it became a requirement and more amazingly the first novel I have finished is not just a mere piece but a mathematical one. I would admit that at first I was hesitant to read the book since I have no idea if it’s a creative work or very technical. I even expect this book review to be the worst one I’ll ever make since I have no idea how to criticize a novel. Well, here’s a try.
            Before reading the story, I tried skimming my high school literature notebooks to refresh myself with the characteristics of a good novel. I felt a natural drive while reading through the storyline. The twist was that math was the natural drive. It has given me great amazement how the authors sewed concepts and theories of mathematics in each chapter of the novel. They were also successful in making a mathematical novel that can be understood by those who aren’t really into mathematics and I believe their primary goals were efficiently achieved.
            Generally, the novel was about the mathematical journey of Ravi Kapoor from his childhood to taking into a mathematical course. There he learned the interconnections and relationships of mathematics to the universe. Many obstacles have then bewildered the main character as he went through answering some questions while applying concepts he had learned in the university. There were also many twists in the plot, but the ‘love’ part has not bothered me anyway.
  It was of great surprise that philosophy has again entered into the plot. I didn’t see it coming since at first, the novel started with a cute kid trying to figure out how magic in calculators works. It all started when Ravi took a course in Stanford. However, when he was about to enter college, his mother was a bit worried due to financial difficulties but good thing Bauji had prepared enough to finance his education. In the university, he met Peter whom he eventually became friends with. All the twist started when he got into a class which was quite interesting. The course was “Thinking about Infinity” under a bright professor named Dr. Nico Aliprantis. It was also in this class where Ravi met Claire, which eventually became the love of his life. There, they started to learn Zeno’s paradox. Also, they discussed various theorems that tackle infinity just like that of Galileo that “one cannot apply the laws to finite mathematics to infinite sets.” Also the Cantor’s theory of transfinite cardinals, Euclidian geometry and many others were also discussed. With immense astonishment, I only thought that the story was just technical, however, it seemed perfect how the theorems they learned can be used to study religion and philosophies and other abstracts that exist.
            Ravi has then tried to unravel and investigate the imprisonment of his grandfather. He had read through the newspaper the issues of the statement of his grandfather regarding the inexistence of God using his beliefs and knowledge in mathematical concepts on infinity. Thus, it was considered blasphemy in his small town where almost all people believed in Christ. Well, this part grew my eyes bigger. How could a mathematical concept or statement be used to conclude that a supreme being does not exist? Maybe I would believe that some scientific or historical basis can do, but why math? I then remembered the first book we had when philosophy was related with math. Going outside the realms of the story, it quite bothered me how it was really unacceptable in those days to speak out what people truly believed in. I remembered taking a course in “Panitikang Pilipino” that the author should not directly state the era of the story but rather show some instances. In this case, one can conclude that it occurred a long time ago. It is somehow overwhelming to see how the society accepts rational and radical people in today’s generation. Furthermore, if his grandfather had committed that in the 20th century, then he should not have been arrested for blasphemy.
            I felt the technicality of the novel reading through the personality of Judge Taylor. The “creation axiom” of the judge was indeed something to be amused on. I would really like to recognize how the authors perfectly used math to some explanations in faith and rationality of mankind. As a Christian believer, I stand by my faith that indeed the whole concept of a supreme being could not be explained by mankind. Then I realized that human intelligence had really been trying to pursue and generate theorems that can establish an answer to questions regarding religion and faith.

            The novel was indeed ambiguous. It vaguely covered each part of the story; however, it has distinctly discussed mathematics and philosophy in a strategic way. The way the authors put in the concepts of mathematics in the whole story was unbelievable in a mode that an ordinary student in the university could precisely understand it. Furthermore, I am really not quite sure about these comments and critiques I have made on the novel since this was really the first time I have read one. A lot of other novels would be great to read but this one is unique. It was informative, technical, and creative. However, I will still not read novels unless it’s a requirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment